[openstack-dev] [oslo.service] Lifecycle Hooks

Joshua Harlow harlowja at fastmail.com
Mon May 23 23:40:58 UTC 2016

Doug Hellmann wrote:
> [...]
> until they are registered.  The registration step may happen at
> runtime in code that has not executed before the plugin is loaded. So
> even if we ignore the "private" nature of the option, there is a timing
> issue.
>
>>> It feels very much like you're advocating that we create a thing like
>>> paste-deploy for non-WSGI apps: allow anyone to insert anything into
>>> the executing process for any purpose and with little control on the
>>> application authors' part. That introduces potential stability issues,
>>> and a lot of questions that haven't been answered. For example:
>>> Does service startup block until all of the plugins are done? If not,
>>> do we need to have a timeout management system built in or do we run
>>> the plugins in their own thread/subprocess so they can run in the
>>> background?
>>> Can a plugin change the execution of the service in some way (you
>>> mentioned having a plugin download config files when we spoke at the
>>> summit, is that still something you want to slip in this way instead of
>>> putting it into oslo.config)?
>>> Can a plugin cause the service to not start at all by exiting?
>>> What happens if one plugin fails but others succeed? Do we keep running?
>>> What information about the service can a plugin see? It's running in the
>>> same process, so it could see the configuration object, for example.
>>> It would only be able to see configuration options it adds (yes, that
>>> would work) or that were registered by the application before the plugin
>>> is run. So, not necessarily all options but potentially many, with more
>>> and more as apps shift to pre-registering all of their options in one
>>> place. Assuming these are things the deployer has selectively installed,
>>> maybe that's OK. OTOH, it does open another security surface.
>>> What happens when a service is told to restart its workers? Do the
>>> plugins run again?
>>> Can a plugin start listening for network connections on its own? Connect
>>> to the message bus?  Provide an RPC endpoint? Start processes? Threads?
>> [KanagarajM] It gives me a lots insight on what are different problems
>> would come and i really thank you.
>> Hooks will be provided by community and/or deployers. while community
>> provides, those hooks will be well documented, tested and configuration
>> would be
>> provided. so all of the above mentioned aspects would be taken care well by
>> community based on the hooks functionality. And deployer also would take
>>   care of similar safety measurement before using their hooks similar to how
>> would they take care when using startup scripts.
>
> Well, I still think this is a poor design for the feature you want.
> It really seems like service management should happen from outside
> of the service being managed. I'm going to need to see a lot more
> detailed thought put into answers to those questions before I could
> support adding this feature to oslo.service.

Wouldn't systemd have something for this already (assuming u are using
systemd)? Seeing as one of the usages of systemd is dependency of
services it almost feels like the service management from that would be
appropriate here? Is there any major advantage that doing this in
oslo.service would have over doing it externally?

https://fedoramagazine.org/systemd-unit-dependencies-and-order/ ?

Am I missing something that would seem to make an inline solution that
much better vs an external one (and using an external one that is
detected to doing these kinds of things).