[openstack-dev] 答复: [Heat][Glance] Can't migrate to glance v2 completely

Erno Kuvaja ekuvaja at redhat.com
Fri May 20 12:20:11 UTC 2016

Hi Huangtianhua,

Bit more general pointers here and I respond to your exact cases inline.

OpenStack community has made really clear that we must not expose backend
configuration details of the services to users and we must not rely users
knowing any of those details to operate in the cloud. The locations
settings are exact opposite from this. To set the locations in a manner
that glance can access the image when the user tries to use it excepts the
user to provide correct, backend specific location of the image to Glance.
This causes very much poor user experience from the beginning but
definitely so when the user tries to transfer those processes between
clouds that are configured differently.

Also utilizing external locations for enabled backends (locations that are
not controlled by Glance) we give away the immutability promise right away.
We also break the image in the cloud in the case the image is not anymore
available in that external backend preventing spinning up new VMs from that
image, migrating those VMs to other hosts and IIUC spinning up even VMs
from the snapshots based on that base image. All these things just leading
horrible results for any users not understanding the internals how our
clouds operates and consequences of such decisions.

On Fri, May 20, 2016 at 4:36 AM, Huangtianhua <huangtianhua at huawei.com>
wrote:

> Thanks very much and sorry to reply so late. Comments inline.

This is actually good example why the user nor the cloud owner would not
want to have this happening:
a) This needs glance http backend to be enabled, it's not by default and
the state varies between deployments. Poor interoperability.
b) If the http backend is enabled glance will download the image from
fedoraproject.org every time that image is requested (assuming glance image
cache is not enabled or the image is not in the cache of serving node)
causing lots of external network traffic and most of the cases greatly
slowing the boot process down.
c) Lets assume that location URI is directing some smaller and perhaps less
stable direction than fedoraproject. The user uses that VM happily, takes a
snapshot of the baseline for his/her future uses. Meanwhile the Image
creator has uploaded new version of that image and removes the old one to
save some space. Now our user tries to spin up that snapshot, the image
does not exist in the URI anymore, Glance cannot fetch it and provide to
Nova as base image for that snapshot, boot fails and all the work that user
did has been lost.

All of the reasons above increases poor user experience greatly and should
be avoided. Specially as all of those are something where the user would
need deep understanding of the underlying operations and will blame
OpenStack or the cloud operator for this horrible user experience.

Consider another user case of using custom image store in swift, user store
> the custom image data in swift already. The schema likes:
> swift+http://tenant/account:key@auth_url/container/obj
> it is really complex, but if this location only expose to admin(operator),
> they need to get the key(password) of all the end-users? Is it safe?
>
> This exact use case is something we're trying to facilitate with the Image
Import work that is currently ongoing. Although this is something that Heat
for example should avoid hard coding in anywhere as Swift is not required
component on all models of OpenStack clouds.

Also if used in location the password would need to be stored (and updated,
which is still a problem) in Glance so it would be able to access the image
in future exposing the password for the admins anyways.

This possible lack of Swift also complicates the Image Import work we are
currently doing as we can't count that workflow being possible to import
those images from Swift to configured Glance backend.

The only reliable way to create Glance images for consumption in general
manner is to make sure that we use the normal workflows (currently
uploading the image to Glance and in future the supported manners of Image
Import) and let Glance and Glance only to deal with it's backends.

Best regards,
Erno "jokke_" Kuvaja