[openstack-dev] [tripleo] Nodes management in our shiny new TripleO API

Lucas Alvares Gomes lucasagomes at gmail.com
Fri May 20 12:01:29 UTC 2016

Hi,

> This sounds like an Ironic bug to me. Cleaning (wiping a disk) and
> removing state that would break subsequent installations on a different
> drive are different things. In TripleO I think the reason we disable
> cleaning is largely because of the extra time it takes and the fact
> that our baremetal cloud isn't multi-tenant (currently at least).

It's a complicated issue, there are ways in Ironic to make sure the
image will always be deployed onto a specific hard drive [0]. But when
it's not specified Ironic will pick the first disk that appears and in
Linux, at least for SATA, SCSI or IDE disk controllers, the order in
which the devices are added is arbitrary, e.g, /dev/sda and /dev/sdb
could swap around between reboots.

>> As we didn't pass cleaning, there is still a config drive on the
>> disk
>> used in the first deployment. With 2 config drives present cloud-
>> init
>> will pick a random one, breaking the deployment.
>
> TripleO isn't using config drive is it? Until Nova supports config
> drives via Ironic I think we are blocked on using it.

It's already supported, for two or more cycles already [1]. The
difference with VMs is that, with baremetal the config drive lives in
the disk as a partition and for VMs it's presented as an external
device.

[0] http://docs.openstack.org/developer/ironic/deploy/install-guide.html#specifying-the-disk-for-deployment
[1] http://docs.openstack.org/developer/ironic/deploy/install-guide.html#enabling-the-configuration-drive-configdrive

Hope that helps,