[openstack-dev] [tc] supporting Go

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Fri May 20 10:42:09 UTC 2016

On 05/11/2016 04:17 PM, Dean Troyer wrote:
> The big difference with Go here is that the dependency work happens at
> build time, not deploy/runtime in most cases.  That shifts much of the
> burden to people (theoretically) better suited to manage that work.

I am *NOT* buying that doing static linking is a progress. We're back 30
years in the past, before the .so format. It is amazing that some of us
think it's better. It simply isn't. It's a huge regression, for package
maintainers, system admins, production/ops, and our final users. The
only group of people who like it are developers, because they just don't
need to care about shared library API/ABI incompatibilities and
regressions anymore.

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)