[openstack-dev] [Heat] Versioned objects upgrade patterns

Crag Wolfe cwolfe at redhat.com
Thu May 19 22:47:26 UTC 2016

On 05/18/2016 01:39 PM, Zane Bitter wrote:
> On 17/05/16 20:27, Crag Wolfe wrote:
>> Now getting very Heat-specific. W.r.t. to
>> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/303692/ , the goal is to de-duplicate
>> raw_template.files (this is a dict of template filename to contents),
>> both in the DB and in RAM. The approach this patch is taking is that,
>> when one template is created by reference to another, we just re-use the
>> original template's files (ultimately in a new table,
>> raw_template_files). In the case of nested stacks, this saves on quite a
>> bit of duplication.
>>
>> If we follow the 3-step pattern discussed earlier in this thread, we
>> would be looking at P release as to when we start seeing DB storage
>> improvements. As far as RAM is concerned, we would see improvement in
>> the O release since that is when we would start reading from the new
>> column location (and could cache the template files object by its ID).
>> It also means that for the N release, we wouldn't see any RAM or DB
>> improvements, we'll just start writing template files to the new
>> location (in addition to the old location). Is this acceptable, or do
>> impose some sort of downtime restrictions on the next Heat upgrade?
>>
>> A compromise could be to introduce a little bit of downtime:
>>
>> For the N release:
>
> There's also a step 0, which is to run the DB migrations for Newton.
>
>>   1. Add the new column (no need to shut down heat-engine).
>>   2. Shut down all heat-engine's.
>>   3. Upgrade code base to N throughout cluster.
>>   4. Start all heat engine's. Read from new and old template files
>> locations, but only write to the new one.
>>
>> For the O release, we could perform a rolling upgrade with no downtime
>> where we are only reading and writing to the new location, and then drop
>> the old column as a post-upgrade migration (i.e, the typical N+2 pattern
>> [1] that Michal referenced earlier and I'm re-referencing :-).
>>
>> The advantage to the compromise is we would immediately start seeing RAM
>> and DB improvements with the N-release.
>
> +1, and in fact this has been the traditional way of doing it. To be
> able to stop recommending that to operators, we need a solution both
> to the DB problem we're discussing here and to the problem of changes
> to the RPC API parameters. (Before anyone asks, and I know someone
> will... NO, versioned objects do *not* solve either of those problems.)
>
> I've already personally made one backwards-incompatible change to the
> RPC in this version:
>
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/315275/
>
> So we won't be able to recommend rolling updates from Mitaka->Newton
> anyway.
>
> I suggest that as far as this patch is concerned, we should implement
> the versioning that allows the VO to decide whether to write old or
> new data and leave it at that. That way, if someone manages to
> implement rolling upgrade support in Newton we'll have it, and if we
> don't we'll just fall back to the way we've done it in the past.

OK, but in the proper rolling-upgrade path, there are 3 steps (to get to
the point where we are actually de-duplicating data), not 1. So, a way
to do what you are saying, if you are saying that we should optionally
support rolling upgrades (in any way that resembles current usage of
o.vo though it would be trailblazing new ground), is to have a config
value that states whether the operator wants to run at the X+1, X+2, or
X+3 level. I feel like that is complexity for the operator (not to
mention in the code) that we want to avoid. Again, what happens if the
operator goes backwards on one of the heat-engines by accident? It's not
good. Unless there is another way to do it outside of the config
approach I'm not seeing.

Also, a note about the N release in "the compromise" above: it actually
doesn't correspond directly to any of the N / O / P states in the proper
rolling upgrade approach (that's especially why it is attractive for
this particular heat issue, because we can start de-duplicating data
right away at N). So, we can't really punt and just say we want rolling
upgrades as a yes/no switch in a config file. If we want rolling upgrade
support, the operator would need to specify N in the config (and do the
upgrade they have do anyway), then O (then perform rolling upgrade),
then P (then perform another rolling upgrade).

N-compromise: read from old or new, write only to new
O-compromise: read/write only from new, drop old column

N-proper-rolling-upgrade: read from old, read/write to new and old
O-proper-rolling-upgrade: read from new, read/write to new and old
P-proper-rolling-upgrade: read/write only from new, drop old column

Thanks,
--Crag