[openstack-dev] [TripleO] [diskimage-builder] LVM in diskimage-builder

Andre Florath andre at florath.net
Tue May 17 19:32:35 UTC 2016

Hi All!

AFAIK the diskimage-builder started as a testing tool, but it looks
that it evolves more and more into a general propose tool for creating
docker and VM disk images.

Currently there are ongoing efforts to add LVM [1]. But because some
features that I need are missing, I created my own prototype to get a
'feeling' for the complexity and a possible way doing things [2]. I
contacted Yolanda (the author of the original patch) and we agreed to
join forces here to implement a patch that fits our both needs.

Yolanda made the proposal before starting implementing things, we
could contact Open Stack developers via this mailing list and ask
about possible additional requirements and comments.

Here is a short list of my requirements - and as far as I understood
Yolanda, her requirements are a subset:

MUST be able to
o use one partition as PV
o use one VG
o use many LV (up to 10)
o specify the mount point for each of the LVs
o specify mount points that 'overlap', e.g.
  /, /var, /var/log, /var/spool
o use the default file system (options) as specified via command line
o survive in every day's live - and not only in dedicated test
  environment: must be robust and handle error scenarios
o use '/' (root fs) as LV
o run within different distributions - like Debian, Ubuntu, Centos7.

NICE TO HAVE
o Multiple partitions as PVs
o Multiple VGs
o LVM without any partition
  Or: why do we need partitions these days? ;-)
  Problem: I have no idea how to boot from a pure LVM image.

Every idea or comment will help!  Please feel invited to have a
(short) look / review at the implementation [1] and the design study
[2].

Kind regards

Andre

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/252041/