[openstack-dev] [cross-project][quotas][delimiter] Austin Summit - Design Session Summary

Nikhil Komawar nik.komawar at gmail.com
Sat May 14 20:06:57 UTC 2016

On 5/14/16 2:35 PM, Mike Perez wrote:
> On 18:46 May 12, Nikhil Komawar wrote:
>> I realized that I missed one of your questions earlier. Response for
>> that inline.

>> Currently, I do not have facts but only hints (anticipations, expected
>> hick-ups). If you think that's not the case, do you think we can be done
>> with all the processes, governance, etc. and yet be able to come up with
>> a POC release (dunno something like 0.0.3) within next 5 weeks that can
>> be experimented upon in one/two of the projects POC patches? We are
>> looking at that timeline and not sure how long the governance and specs
>> will take (do we need oslo spec?, how big is the process to setup
>> sub-cores? , how do we involve more folks without them thinking of oslo
>> standards?, etc.).
>>
>> My biggest concern is that this will be seen as something that is an
>> attempt to standardize things where we do not even have a standard but
>> want to create one. We wish to be agile in our workflow and do not care
>> where that exists.
> Reading this thread, Nikhil who is speaking for the quota team is worried about
> the amount of overhead caused by governance, instead of first focusing on
> making something actually exist. I see quite a few people in this thread
> speaking up that it should be part of the big tent either standalone or oslo
> lib.
>
> I can't speak for the Oslo folks, but as a member of the TC here are the
> requirements for the standalone route [1]. You would propose an agenda item to
> the TC, and we would review that the project meets those requirements.
> Considering the project does Open Design and has an Open Community - my guesses
> on "probably would be followed" is Open Development and Open Source since we
> don't have anything but a specification that exists to go off of.
>
> It sounds like the biggest hang up in going the oslo route is the oslo spec. So
> question to the oslo folks, would you be interested in reviewing the
> cross-project specification and allowing to be an oslo lib? That way the team
> can focus on working on the library, and the community is happy it's part of
> OpenStack already.

Thanks Mike for helping us move forward.

After having been suggested yesterday, I have added this agenda item for
the Oslo team meeting to get the answers
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Meetings/Oslo#Agenda_for_Next_Meeting .

Also, can you please re-reference as the link did not come through?

Nikhil