[openstack-dev] [heat] [grenade] need for a testing phase?

Jim Rollenhagen jim at jimrollenhagen.com
Fri May 13 10:33:06 UTC 2016

On Thu, May 12, 2016 at 02:50:03PM -0400, Sean Dague wrote:
> I just discovered this -
> https://github.com/openstack/heat/blob/fed92fdd6e5a14ea658621375e528f1c0cbde944/devstack/upgrade/resources.sh#L41
> in looking at why - https://review.openstack.org/#/c/315501/ did not
> pass on gate-grenade-dsvm-heat-nv
>
> Overloading resource create with a base smoke test is definitely not the
> way you want to use that interface (especially as we just changed things
> so there is a phase before that that might muck you up).
>
> It seems like the problem at hand is loading a different bit of
> validation code at the end of the base / target phase.
>
> Would a validate.sh (base|target) work for you all here?

Interesting. I'm surprised we didn't do something similar in ironic. :)

That said, this would be totally useful to us, as we're struggling to
make things scale to pass smoke tests reliably.

If we could just run the normal baremetal tests on the base/target side,
that would probably get us up and running quickly, and could iterate on
more realistic testing past that. I know "just baremetal basic ops"
isn't something we want to keep doing, but we're also blocking some
important features on getting upgrade testing going.

// jim