[openstack-dev] [keystone][oslo][designate][zaqar][nova][swift] using pylibmc instead of python-memcached

Steve Martinelli s.martinelli at gmail.com
Fri May 13 08:14:03 UTC 2016

/me gets the ball rolling

Just when python3 support for keystone was looking like a reality, we've
hit another snag. Apparently there are several issues with python-memcached
in py3, putting it simply: it loads, but doesn't actually work. I've
included projects in the subject line that use python-memcached (based on
codesearch)

Enter pylibmc; apparently it is (almost?) a drop-in replacement, performs
better, and is more actively maintained.

- Has anyone had success using python-memcached in py3?
- Is anyone interested in using pylibmc in their project instead of
python-memcached?
- Will buy-in from all projects be necessary to proceed for any single
project?

Open issues like this:
https://github.com/linsomniac/python-memcached/issues/94 make me sad.

stevemar