[openstack-dev] [ironic][openstackclient] deprecation process

Steve Martinelli s.martinelli at gmail.com
Thu May 12 16:05:23 UTC 2016

I thought we had this written down somewhere but I can't find it. The OSC
deprecation process is two major releases. So if something was deprecated
in L, it is removed in N. This goes for optional parameters being renamed /
dropped, or commands being dropped / renamed.

If an optional parameter is being deprecated (say --tenant in favor of
--project), then we usually add a mutually exclusive group for these, and
force the user to only pick one, log a deprecation message if they pick the
wrong one, and suppress the help text of the old option. See [1] for an
example

If a command is being deprecated it's a bit easier, just log a deprecation
message and remove it. If it is being renamed then you can also have it
subclass the new command.

As always, the deprecation message should indicate which command / option
to use.

[1]
https://github.com/openstack/python-openstackclient/blob/b4c3adbd308e65679489c4c64680cbe0324f4bc7/openstackclient/volume/v1/volume.py#L53-L63