[openstack-dev] [cross-project][infra][keystone] Moving towards a Identity v3-only on Devstack - Next Steps

Raildo Mascena raildom at gmail.com
Thu May 12 15:08:55 UTC 2016

Hi folks,

Although the Identity v2 API is deprecated as of Mitaka [1], some services
haven't implemented proper support to v3 yet. For instance, we implemented
a patch that made DevStack v3 by default that, when merged, broke a lot of
project gates in a few hours [2]. This happened due to specific services in
compatibility issues with Keystone v3 API, such as hardcoded v2 usage,
usage of removed keystoneclient CLI, requesting v2 service tokens and the
lack of keystoneauth session usage.

To discuss those points, we did a cross-project work session in the Newton
Summit[3]. One point we are working on at this momment is creating gates to
ensure the main OpenStack services can live without the Keystone v2 API. Those
gates setup devstack with only Identity v3 enabled and run the Tempest suite
 on this environment.

We already did that for a few services, like Nova, Cinder, Glance, Neutron,
Swift. We are doing the same job for other services such as Ironic, Magnum,
Ceilometer, Heat and Barbican [4].

In addition, we are creating jobs to run functional tests for the services
on this identity v3-only environment[5]. Also, we have a couple of other
fronts that we are doing like removing some hardcoded v2 usage [6],
implementing keystoneauth sessions support in clients and APIs [7].

Our plan is to keep tackling as many items from the cross-project session
etherpad as we can, so we can achieve more confidence in moving to a DevStack
working v3-only, making sure everyone is prepared to work with Keystone v3
API.

Feedbacks and reviews are very appreciated.

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/251530/
[2] https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/v3-only-devstack
[3] https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/newton-keystone-v3-devstack
[4]