[openstack-dev] JavaScript RoadMap for OpenStack Newton

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Thu May 12 14:25:36 UTC 2016

Hi,

If I may bring some insights from the distro's viewpoint...

On 04/21/2016 04:35 PM, Michael Krotscheck wrote:
> New: Xenial Build Nodes
>
> As of two weeks ago, OpenStack’s Infrastructure is running a version of
> Node.js and npm more recent than what is available on Trusty LTS.
> Ultimately, we would like to converge this version on Node4 LTS, the
> release version maintained by the Node foundation. The easiest way to do
> this is to simply piggyback on Infra’s impending adoption of Xenial
> build nodes, though some work is required to ensure this transition goes
> smoothly.

While this is a nice intention, I'd like to remind folks that
historically, all JS and Node stuff have been maintained in Debian. So
the work to maintain packages are done in Sid. So best would be to make
sure the toolchain works there, as this is the way to go also for
getting stuff pushed to Ubuntu (ie: via Debian).

I'm hereby volunteering to help if we need JS or Node packaging to
happen. I haven't started yet working on that (like packaging Gulp, see
later in this message...) but I will, sooner or later.

As I understand, the way to package NPM stuff is to use npm2deb. Once we
have npm packages pushed as NodeJS package, they would later on be
aggregated by some tools. Fuel uses Gulp and RequireJS to do that. I'd
be nice if we were standardizing on some tooling, so that downstream
package maintainers wouldn't have to do the work multiple times. Has
this discussion already happened?

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)