[openstack-dev] Wiki

Paul Belanger pabelanger at redhat.com
Wed May 11 18:06:38 UTC 2016

On Wed, May 11, 2016 at 05:51:41PM +0000, Jeremy Stanley wrote:
> On 2016-05-11 10:04:26 -0400 (-0400), Sean Dague wrote:
> [...]
> > Before deciding that it's unsurmountable, maybe giving delete
> > permissions to a larger set of contributors might be a good idea.
> [...]
>
> I have no objection to granting delete (on non-locked articles) to
> all users immediately if someone works out the necessary
> configuration change to put that into effect. I expect it was
> restricted by default to encourage people to instead annotate
> articles as deprecated or use the "move" feature to redirect them to
> more relevant ones. That said, I think we're at the point where we
> should start considering such important content as candidates to
> move elsewhere outside the wiki (especially any currently remaining
> locked articles).
>
> > I do realize running a public wiki is a PITA, especially at the
> > target level of openstack.org.
> [...]
>
> The thing which would most significantly reduce its attractiveness
> to spammers would be to stop having major search engines index the
> content on it. Somewhere they can publish content and have it
> immediately show up in search engine results is really _all_ they
> care about. Maybe a compromise is to say that the wiki is an okay
> place to publish things you don't need people to find through
> external search engines? Then we could quite easily open account
> creation back up with minimal risk and much lower moderator demand.

I think giving out delete permissions is a good first step, however if we are
going down this path of keep the wiki alive, I believe we have to look at
re-evaluating mediawiki.   Our current setup with puppet is not idea and I feel
mediawiki is maybe too much software for what we are doing.

I'd love to use something more easier to manage (ideally not php based).