[openstack-dev] [oslo] Austin summit session recap(s)

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Wed May 11 12:45:16 UTC 2016

Excerpts from Alexis Lee's message of 2016-05-11 11:00:40 +0100:
> Doug Hellmann said on Tue, May 10, 2016 at 09:28:30AM -0400:
> > Excerpts from Alexis Lee's message of 2016-05-10 10:25:24 +0100:
> >
> > I'm planning to work on that with Ronald. We'd love to have your help.
>
> Sure thing, add me as reviewer or ping me on IRC.

> > I'd been assuming you would drive that work as part of completing what
> > you're doing now.
>
> Sure, I just need a few pointers on where to put it please. I haven't
> touched the main OpenStack docs yet.
>
> > I'll have to look at the review again but my concern was things like
> > having a logger removed from the configuration file, but not removed
> > from the "live" configuration, so that messages end up going multiple
> > places. For example, suppose I configure a file logger, then change to
> > use syslog. I don't want messages going to the file any more. Similarly,
> > if I start out logging with the default human-readable format, and then
> > change to JSON, I don't want my file to contain both.
>
> Loggers receive log records then propagate to their parent logger and
> send to any configured handlers. Handlers ask their formatter to format
> the logrecord into a message then output the message. So by "file
> logger", you mean "file handler". Handlers are unconfigured if the new
> config doesn't include them, so both of those cases will work just fine.

Yes, handler, sorry.

I thought they were only unconfigured if the flag was set to do that,
and that your patch had the disable_existing_loggers flag set to not do
it? Maybe I misunderstood the full meaning of the flag, though, and it
only affects loggers and not handlers?