[openstack-dev] [nova] gate testing with lvm imagebackend

Matt Riedemann mriedem at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Wed May 11 00:45:39 UTC 2016

On 5/10/2016 5:47 PM, Matt Riedemann wrote:
> On 5/10/2016 5:14 PM, Chris Friesen wrote:
>> On 05/10/2016 03:51 PM, Matt Riedemann wrote:
>>> For the libvirt imagebackend refactor that mdbooth is working on, I
>>> have a POC
>>> devstack-gate change which runs with the lvm imagebackend in the
>>> libvirt driver
>>> [1].
>>>
>>> The test results are mostly happy except for anything related to migrate
>>> (including resize to same host) [2][3].
>>>
>>> That's because we're not testing with boot from volume [4].
>>>
>>> This is a weird capability wrinkle that is not clear from the API,
>>> you'll only
>>> find out that you can't migrate/resize on this host that's using lvm
>>> when it
>>> fails. We can't even disable this in tempest really since there isn't
>>> a flag for
>>> 'only-supports-resize-for-volume-backed-instances'. So this job would
>>> just have
>>> to disable any tests that have anything to do with resize/migrate,
>>> which kind of
>>> sucks since that's what we wanted to test going into the libvirt
>>> imagebackend
>>> refactor.
>>

>> For what it's worth, we've got internal patches to enable cold migration
>> and resize for LVM-backed instances.  We've also got a proof of concept
>> to enable thin-provisioned LVM to get rid of the huge
>> wipe-volume-on-deletion cost.
>>
>> Pretty sure we'd be happy to contribute these if there is interest.
>> Last time I brought up some of these there didn't seem to be much.
>>
>> Chris

> I'd be interested if you want to push the changes up as a WIP, then we
> could run my devstack-gate change with your series as a dependency and
> see what kind of fallout there is.
>
> I also need to check of there are any tempest tests that test
> resize/migrate from a volume-backed instance and if those are passing on
> this.

We don't have any Tempest tests which test resizing a volume-backed
instance. We did have two redundant resize tests though, so I changed
one of those to use a volume-backed instance [1]. If that works I'll add
it as a dependency for my d-g test patch.

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/314816/

Matt Riedemann