[openstack-dev] [tc] supporting Go

Rayson Ho raysonlogin at gmail.com
Tue May 10 14:19:23 UTC 2016

On Tue, May 10, 2016 at 2:42 AM, Tim Bell <Tim.Bell at cern.ch> wrote:
> I hope that the packaging technologies are considered as part of the TC
evaluation of a new language. While many alternative approaches are
available, a language which could not be packaged into RPM or DEB would be
an additional burden for distro builders and deployers.

I mentioned in earlier replies but I may as well mention it again: a
package manager gives you no advantage in a language toolchain like Go (or
Rust). In fact, when you code is written in Go, you will be spared from
dependency hell.

And, while not the official way to install Go, the Go toolchain can be
packaged and in fact it is in Ubuntu 16.04 LTS:

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/xenial/+source/golang-1.6

IMO, the best use case of not using a package manager is when deploying
into containers -- would you prefer to just drop a static binary of your Go
code, or you would rather install "apt-get" into a container image, and
then install the language runtime via apt-get, and finally your
application?? I don't know about you, but many startup companies like Go as
it would give them much faster time to react.

Lastly, I would encourage anyone who has never even used Go to at least
download the Go toolchain and install it in your home directory (or if you
are committed enough, system wide), and then compile a few hello world
programs and see what Go gives you. Go won't give you everything, but I am
a "pick the right tool for the right job" guy and I am pretty happy about
Go.

Rayson

http://gridscheduler.sourceforge.net/
http://gridscheduler.sourceforge.net/GridEngine/GridEngineCloud.html

> Does Go present any additional work compared to Python in this area ?
>
> Tim

> Open Grid Scheduler - The Official Open Source Grid Engine
> http://gridscheduler.sourceforge.net/
> http://gridscheduler.sourceforge.net/GridEngine/GridEngineCloud.html
>

> > If you want to write code in a language that's not Python, go start
another project. Don't call it OpenStack. If it ends up being a better
implementation than the reference OpenStack Swift implementation, it will
win anyways and perhaps Swift will start to look more like the rest of the
projects in OpenStack with a standardized API and multiple plugable
implementations.