[openstack-dev] [kolla] [bifrost] bifrost container.

Mooney, Sean K sean.k.mooney at intel.com
Tue May 10 12:45:31 UTC 2016

@ Mark
What we discussed at the summit were to actions.
1 create a optional bifrost container to provision the os on a node
2 create a generic playbook that will configure the provisioned node with the deploy dependencies.
The playbook should be reusable regardless of how the  system is provisioned.

So I could not sleep last night so I decided hack on a poc of the biforst container
And the biforst install decomposition.

It can be found here
https://github.com/SeanMooney/kolla/tree/bifrost
https://github.com/SeanMooney/bifrost/tree/kolla

I was testing this with a centos host and centos source build of the bifrost-systemd container.

As the name implies im cheating by using systemd currently to be my init system.
This works fine in a container even with systemd on the host provided you follow the recommended steps for running
Systemd containers

e.g.  add the following to your docker file.
ENV container docker
RUN (cd /lib/systemd/system/sysinit.target.wants/; for i in *; do [ “$i”  == “systemd-tmpfiles-setup.service” ] || rm -f “$i”; done); \
rm -f /lib/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/*;\
rm -f /etc/systemd/system/*.wants/*;\
rm -f /lib/systemd/system/local-fs.target.wants/*; \
rm -f /lib/systemd/system/sockets.target.wants/*udev*; \
rm -f /lib/systemd/system/sockets.target.wants/*initctl*; \
rm -f /lib/systemd/system/basic.target.wants/*;\
rm -f /lib/systemd/system/anaconda.target.wants/*;
VOLUME [ "/sys/fs/cgroup" ]

How the poc works  currently is

1.       Clone https://github.com/SeanMooney/kolla and checkout bifrost branch

2.       Run tox –e genconfig and modify for source install and update bifrost-base entry to point to https://github.com/SeanMooney/bifrost/  with reference=kolla

3.       Run tools/build.py bifrost-systemd

a.       As part of the build this runs ansible-playbook -vvvv -i /bifrost/playbooks/inventory/localhost /bifrost/playbooks/install.yaml -e @/tmp/build_arg.yml

b.       Build_arg contains skip_bootstrap: true skip_start: true install_dib: true create_image_via_dib: false

c.       This results in all bifrost/ironic dependencies being installed as part of the image build without configuration or starting the services

4.       Once the image are built start the bifrost-systemd container for boot straping

a.       Docker run –dit –privileged –net=host –name bifrost kollaglue/centos-source-bifrost-systemd

5.       Docker exec –it bifrost bash

6.       Fix /etc/host by adding  hostname to 127.0.0.1 line to workaround sed issue running in containter.

7.       Source /bifrost/env-vars and source /opt/stack/ansible/hacking/env-setup

8.       To bootsrap bifrost and start service  run ansible-playbook -vvvv -i /bifrost/playbooks/inventory/localhost /bifrost/playbooks/install.yaml –e skip_install –e network_interface=<ethX>
this could be split into two steps using skip_bootstrap and skip_start

At this point ironic should be running.

Known issues currently:

·         Ansilbel dose not use the kolla python venv so I have to install shade and jsonpatch manually to make

The enroll-dynamic playbook work correctly.

·         Deploy-dynamic currently does not work

After a node is enrolled calling ironic node-set-power-state <uudi> on works so ironic can connect to the node
Over ipmi and manage it.

Currently I am not sure how to fix the venv issue or deploy-dynamic issue but I belive the deployment would succeed if I can get the playbook to work

Regards
sean