[openstack-dev] [heat]Provides different stack quota to tenant

Sylvernass Arthas sylvernass at outlook.com
Mon May 9 16:36:17 UTC 2016

Excerpts from Sylvernass Arthas's message of 2016-05-08 05:33:13 -0700:

> Hi, guys

>   Now, all tenant share the public config "max_stacks_per_tenant" which decides maximum number of stacks any one tenant may have active at one time, the default value is 1000.

> Should heat provides ability to set this config by different tenant? For example, in a enterprise, maybe tenant A needs 10000 stack quota, tenant B needs 100 stack quota, but now heat can't manage with it, at least in Liberity.

>   So in future, will heat provides this ability or other policy to solve this?

I think enough people have stated that they want it that it will happen some day. There may even be a spec now, I haven't been tracking all of the specs. However, I don't actually think there's any point to Heat quotas, as the resources used to run a Heat stack are so much cheaper compared to the resources it enables the user to consume -- servers, networks, volumes, etc. One might as well let users run as many heat stacks as they want within reason, as their quotas on those items will fill up far before they cost you any actual money.

In fact, the only reason the max setting exists now is to protect the code that does stack listing from eating up all of the memory on the servers.

It has a second unintended use case which is to prevent anyone from using Heat as free object storage. :)

It's important to take my words with a grain of salt. I'm not directly involved with Heat anymore.