[openstack-dev] [api] API-WG summit session recap

Everett Toews everett.toews at RACKSPACE.COM
Mon May 9 15:51:36 UTC 2016

> On May 9, 2016, at 10:12 AM, michael mccune <msm at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> Promoting the guidelines
>
> The heart of the API-WG has always been the guidelines that are produced, we had a nice discussion about how we can increase the awareness and usage of the guidelines.
>
> One big request that came out of this discussion is the need to cleanup the group's guideline page to make it clearer which pages are just place holders and which contain guidelines.
>
> The group talked about if, and how, we can better integrate with other working groups to help create a broader network for the guidelines and better APIs in general. The two main groups that were identified as possible partners are the Application Ecosystem WG and the SDK WG. Although these groups have different focuses than just APIs, there is certainly some room for collaboration and consensus among all the groups.
>
> There was also a strong discussion about how the group could advocate for more projects to use the guidelines. The main result of this talk was the idea of an API-WG related governance tag. Having this tag would make a nice signal to end-users about the maturity and development status of a project's APIs. Although the details are still in flux, the main criteria of a tag were related to projects self-electing into the tag, and then creating a series of tests that would prove how their APIs follow the guidelines, as well as providing proper API documentation. This is still very much a work in progress.

We've started an issue to track this at Guideline compliance doc [1]. We'd be interested to get feedback on the issue before forging ahead with the doc.

Thanks,
Everett

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/openstack-api-wg/+bug/1578728