[openstack-dev] [tc] supporting Go

Hayes, Graham graham.hayes at hpe.com
Mon May 9 11:33:28 UTC 2016

On 08/05/2016 10:21, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> On 05/04/2016 01:29 AM, Hayes, Graham wrote:
>> On 03/05/2016 17:03, John Dickinson wrote:
>>> TC,
>>>
>>> In reference to http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2016-May/093680.html and Thierry's reply, I'm currently drafting a TC resolution to update http://governance.openstack.org/resolutions/20150901-programming-languages.html to include Go as a supported language in OpenStack projects.
>>>
>>> As a starting point, what would you like to see addressed in the document I'm drafting?
>>>
>>> --John
>>>

>> Great - I was about to write a thread like this :)
>>
>> Designate is looking to move a single component of ours to Go - and we
>> were wondering what was the best way to do it.

> We discussed about this during the summit. You told me that the issue
> was a piece of code that needed optimization, to which I replied that
> probably, a C++ .so extension in a Python module is probably what you
> are looking for (with the advice of not using CFFI which is sometimes
> breaking things in distros).
>
> Did you think about this other possibility, and did you discuss it with
> your team?

We had a brief discussion about it, and we going to try a new POC in
C/C++ to validate it, but then this thread (and related TC policy) were
proposed.

If Golang is going to be a supported language, we would much rather
stick with one of the official OpenStack languages that suits our
use case instead of getting an exemption for another similar language.

When we spoke at the summit, I was under the impression that the feature
branch in swift was not going to be merged to master, and we would have
to get an exemption from the TC anyway - which we could have used to get
C / C++.

The team also much preferred the idea of Golang - we do not have much
C++ expertise in the Designate dev team, which would slow down the
development cycle for us.

-- Graham