[openstack-dev] [neutron][osc] Austin Design summit summary on the future of Neutron client

Akihiro Motoki amotoki at gmail.com
Sat May 7 01:20:45 UTC 2016

n Austin we had a session on the future of neutron client and
discussed the CLI transition to OpenStack Client (OSC).
The session etherpad is found at [1].

* We checked the progress of OSC transition and it is good.
  Support of 11 resources which are targets of the initial effort.
  In Newton cycle, we will focus on achieving the feature parity to
the existing 'neutron' CLI.

* We agreed that OSC support for neutron advanced services will be
done via OSC plugin.
  BGP stuff (neutron-dynamic-routing) will be supported via OSC plugin as well.
  neutron-dynamic-routing needs to be added to the list at [2].
  Future official sub projects (possibly like sfc, l2gw) will be
handled in the same way.

* CLI support for new features should be implemented in OpenStack
Client (and openstacksdk).
  All should go to OSC. neutronclient CLI support is optional.
  Around the feature freeze, neutron and openstackclient team will
communicate more closely to coordinate a new release.

* python bindings in neutronclient:
  All features provided by the main neutron repo will be supported by
openstackclient and openstacksdk.
  python bindings in the python-neutronclient need to be added only if
an openstack service needs to use the bindings.
  (for example, get-me-a-network python binding is required by nova.)

* A discussion about where is an appropriate place for admin commands,
  OSC repo vs OSC plugin in the python-neutronclient repo.
  If admin commands are provided by OSC plugin, it will reduce the
number of commands that regular users will see.
  On the other hand, API permissions can be configured by the policy.
One option is to install the OSC plugin
  which provides admin commands if users want to use them.
  In my understanding, there is no actual consensus in the session.
  (Note that the similar discussion happend for nova OSC support in
the dev list after the summit. [3])

Thanks,
Akihiro

[1] https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/newton-neutron-future-neutron-client