[openstack-dev] [release][requirements][packaging][summit] input needed on summit discussion about global requirements

Tony Breeds tony at bakeyournoodle.com
Thu May 5 23:53:11 UTC 2016

On Thu, May 05, 2016 at 02:35:46PM -0400, Doug Hellmann wrote:

> This has been a lively thread, and the summit session was similarly
> animated. I'm glad to see so much interest in managing our dependencies!
>
> As we discussed at the summit, my primary objective with dependency
> management this cycle is actually to spin it out into its own team, like
> we did with stable management over the last year. We discussed several
> things that team might undertake, including reviewing all of our
> existing dependencies to ensure they are all still actually needed;
> reviewing any overlap between dependencies to try to remove items from
> the list; and implementing some of the other changes we discussed such
> as allowing overlapping ranges between the global and per-project lists.

I think some of these pro-active things will be key.  A quick check shows we
have nearly 30 items in g-r that don't seem to be used by anything.  So there
is some low hanging fruit there.  Search for overlapping requirements and then
working with the impacted teams is a big job but again a very worthwhile goal.

> We had no volunteers to serve as PTL of that new team,

I was only have joking when I said I can learn how to be a PTL in 2 things at
the same time :)

Regardless lets try to grow a team from the volunteers then we can decide what
the spin off looks like.

Yours Tony.