[openstack-dev] [release][requirements][packaging][summit] input needed on summit discussion about global requirements

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Thu May 5 21:46:19 UTC 2016

Excerpts from Ian Cordasco's message of 2016-05-05 16:10:09 -0500:

The dependencies list was placed under the release team sort of as a
default -- it didn't fit with any project teams, and we knew we would
have to manage freezing the list at certain times in the cycle. I have
full faith that a new standalone team will work with the release team on
that coordination.

Now that we have a lot of projects to manage, the release work takes
a bigger proportion of the release team's time over the entire span
of the cycle.  So it's not so much that a dependency management team
needs to exist in its own right as that the work such a team might do is
being mostly ignored by your current release PTL (me) because of other
priorities, and that's not a good situation for any of us.

Managing the list of dependencies is not quite a full time job, but
it's a focused set of responsibilities that can be carved out from the
current release team duties.  As far as other work, in the short term
there's quite a bit of cleanup to be done of the current dependency
list, and there are a few ongoing projects related to constraints and
other changes to how we manage and use the list that need someone to
drive them. I think having a separate team to own that work will be more
effective than what we have now. Eventually I expect it to settle back
down into a relatively low-level of effort to maintain the list.

Doug