[openstack-dev] [nova][cinder] Austin summit nova/cinder cross-project session recap

Ildikó Váncsa ildiko.vancsa at ericsson.com
Thu May 5 19:11:27 UTC 2016

Hi All,

First of all thanks Matt for the detailed summary about last week.

As a continuation I would like to add the meeting minutes I captured today on the Hangout referred below.

As an overall summary, the most important step for today was to move back a little from multi-attach and try to examine the Cinder-Nova interaction before moving forward with any kind of addition. Our philosophy here was to simplify what we can and move back the responsibilities where they belong.

We started with a quick recap by Scott D'Angelo on what we are trying to solve here. The main items were:
* Multi-attach
  * detach issue: when to disconnect volume in Nova/remove target in Cinder
  * too many state checks on Nova side
* Live migration issue
  * calling initialize_connection for the destination host and then for the source host again
  * some Cinder drivers export new target, which is an existing issue

John Garbutt asked about the detach case and asked whether 'os-brick' can handle the decision when to disconnect a volume. That module would need more information in order to be able to make the decision. One of the main concerns from Walter Boring was that 'os-brick' is a stateless simple module currently and the intention is still to keep it like that.

After this discussion John Griffith described what he is already working on. The solution concentrates on 'initialize_connection'. The main changes in the plans are to create the attachment at initialize time and also save information on Cinder side like the 'host' and 'connector_info'. 'initialize_connection' will also be extended with the logic to check whether the attachment already exists or not. In the latter case it will not create a new one and will also prevent the drivers from the aforementioned extra export. This solution can possibly solve the live migration issue as well.

John Griffith will work on the above described solution, that target is to have patches up by next week.

The next topic was started by Walter Boring, which is about to remove 'check_attach' from Nova. Ildiko Vancsa raised the point that 'check_attach' looks like a legacy check in Nova, which was not removed when the checks were added to 'reserve_volume' to Cinder. As Nova calls 'reserve_volume' after 'check_attach' the removal of this extra check should be safe. Walter is already working on the changes, the patch is targeted for this week. This should simplify the interaction between the two modules and keep Cinder as the ultimate source of truth.

Walter also started to work on to fix the live migration issue by removing the second 'initialize_connection' call from the flow. The patch [1] in WIP state is already up for review and needs some review attention to see whether it's the best way of solving this issue.

We briefly discussed the hypervisor layer during the meeting as an already known step for multi-attach. For libvirt we need to be able to set the 'shareable' flag for the guest instance in its XML file (to disable caching), therefore Nova still needs to know whether a volume is multi-attach enabled or not. The volume info already contains this information that Nova can use for this check. Because of this reason the other virt drivers will not support multi-attach, at least for now, which means an additional check in Nova before attaching a multi-attach volume.

We also talked about missing tests. We identified Cinder migrate as a major item here. Scott D'Angelo will work on this as Cinder already has a test patch up for review for a specific case of this workflow. This test will trigger Nova swap volume as well, which is also important in order to be able to safely introduce multi-attach. Ildiko Vancsa will work on further test cases in Tempest for multi-attach and look into fixing the already existing one that Matt Riedemann uploaded during the Mitaka cycle.

Ildiko will also work on the multi-attach spec [2] for Nova and upload a latest version adapted to the outcome of the today's meeting for review this week.

Walter brought up the extend volume use case during the meeting. Matt stated that this item should be presented and discussed on one of the Nova meetings, we did not spend time on this item today.

We also agreed that we will continue with the weekly IRC meetings, which will only be the forum to track what we agreed on today and to discuss multi-attach.

Please feel free to add more items or correct me if I'm mistaken on any of the above points.

Thanks and Best Regards,
/Ildikó

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/312773/
[2] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/304681/