[openstack-dev] [neutron][fwaas][vpnaas][lbaas][octavia] summit summary - future of the advanced services

Doug Wiegley dougwig at parksidesoftware.com
Thu May 5 16:56:10 UTC 2016

Egads, that’s a long subject prefix.  Anyways, we had a design session on the future of the advanced services:

https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/newton-neutron-future-adv-services

In a nutshell, vpn and fw are critically lacking active contributors at present. Again. A proposal was made to remove them from the neutron stadium, effectively making them the equivalent of stackforge projects (openstack experimental in the new terminology.)  This was rejected in favor of giving them until Ocata-1 to retain stadium status, similar to the criteria laid out in the later neutron stadium discussion:

https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/newton-neutron-community-stadium-evolution

Given how often we’ve extended the lives of those two repos by yet another six months, this time we’ll be looking for regular progress up to ocata-1, with final criteria being done (ish) by then. But, as agreed at the summit, if things go utterly dark post-summit, then you can expect to see governance patches to remove them from the stadium much faster than Ocata-1.

After that session, but worth mentioning here, further discussions led to a proposal to make lbaas a standalone project, with a standalone endpoint, but adopting the current API:

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/310805/
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/310667/

and here’s a WIP governance patch for flavor:

https://review.openstack.org/313056

This achieved broad consensus among those present for the follow-up conversations (-1 nits on that patch aside), but please comment on any of those if you have comments/concerns.

Next steps:

- Monitor progress of vpn and fw.
- Cleanup lbaas spinout specs, generate a timeline for minimum work required.

Thanks,
doug