[openstack-dev] [tc] Swift api compat. Was: supporting Go

Pete Zaitcev zaitcev at redhat.com
Thu May 5 16:38:34 UTC 2016

On Wed, 4 May 2016 21:52:49 +0000
"Fox, Kevin M" <Kevin.Fox at pnnl.gov> wrote:

> Swift is in a strange place where the api is implemented in a way to
> favor one particular vendor backend implementation.

Sorry, but I disagree with the above assessement. There is no one
particular vendor like that, because the only vendor of Swift source
is OpenStack, and vendors of pre-packaged Swift are legion, all equal:
Red Hat, HPe (Helion), SwiftStack, Mirantis, and more.

> I'd love to be able to plugin Swift into our sites, but because we
> can only have one, the various tradoffs have lead us to deploy RadosGW
> most of the time.

The fact that you succeeded in running OpenStack with RadosGW proves that
there is no issue here that impedes a development or use of OpenStack.
We at Red Hat will be happy to support an installation of OpenStack using
Ceph underpinning it as integrated storage solution. Or, an installation
that uses the OpenStack-released, reference implementation of Swift,
which we integrate too. We're flexible like that, according to the needs
of each customer.

-- Pete