[openstack-dev] [nova] solving API case sensitivity issues

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Wed May 4 17:19:21 UTC 2016

On 02/24/2016 07:48 AM, Sean Dague wrote:
> We have a specific bug around aggregrate metadata setting in Nova which
> exposes a larger issue with our mysql schema.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1538011
>
> On mysql the following will explode with a 500:
>
>> nova aggregate-create agg1
>> nova aggregate-set-metadata agg1 abc=1
>> nova aggregate-set-metadata agg1 ABC=2
>
> mysql (by default) treats abc == ABC. However the python code does not.

This is reviving an old thread, because we ended up deadlocked on the
case folding issue. Late in the day on Friday at the summit we revisited
this issue in the Nova room, and came up with a new approach:

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/311529/

The TL;DR is to change the input validation in a microversion, provide
and audit / fix tool to adminstrators, and close bugs using uppercase
metadata keys and seeing issues as Won't Fix.

Anyone with strong opinions should spend some time looking there.

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague
http://dague.net