[openstack-dev] [kolla] better solution for the non-ini format configure file

Jeffrey Zhang zhang.lei.fly at gmail.com
Wed May 4 15:01:05 UTC 2016

Recently, Jack Ning pushed a PS[0], which export the `WEBROOT` to the
globals.yml file.
Because there is no chance to change the horizon/apache configure file now.

The root cause is that: Kolla do not support non-ini format configure file.
for the
ini-format file, we use a merge_config module[1] to merge all the found
file. But it
will be not work for configure file for apache, rabbitmq and so on.

I would like to the current merge_config implementation. It is directly and
easy to use.
Not like the puppet, we have to remember the variable name defined in the
module. we have
no chance to add some user-defined variable.

Export the variable to global is very bad and ugly. It will became a
disaster when more
and more variables is exported.

So we should catch up a better solution to handle the configure file.

One solution I have is use overwrite mechanism. for example when there is a
file in
/etc/kolla/config/apache.conf, it will overwrite the templates in the
roles. But this
is still not ideal.

Any body has better solution?

[0] https://review.openstack.org/306928