[openstack-dev] [tc] supporting Go

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Wed May 4 09:47:02 UTC 2016

Fox, Kevin M wrote:
> RadosGW has been excluded from joining the OpenStack community in part due to its use of c++.

I'm not sure I'd use the word "excluded" since RadosGW was never
actually proposed. Maybe our past Python-centricity discouraged them to
apply, but that's conjecture.

> Now that we're talking about alternate languages, that may be on the table now?

It's been a possibility for the last 8 months.

That said, my personal view is that we should accept additional
languages when the current set of accepted languages is suboptimal for
something we want to write or create. A technical benefit to outweigh
the community fragmentation and increase in infrastructure tasks that
result from adding that language.

I'm less convinced that we should add a language for the sole benefit of
being able to absorb an existing project into OpenStack which happens to
be written in a specific language. Especially if the then-supported set
of languages could provide the same technical benefits.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)