[openstack-dev] [tc] supporting Go

John Dickinson me at not.mn
Tue May 3 22:05:08 UTC 2016

On 3 May 2016, at 14:50, Doug Hellmann wrote:

> Excerpts from John Dickinson's message of 2016-05-03 13:01:28 -0700:

>>> Mirroring and building are the ones that we'll definitely want to work together on in terms of figuring out how to support. go get being able to point at any git repo for depends is neat - but it increases the amount of internet surface-area in the gate. Last time I looked (last year) there were options for doing just the fetch part of go get separate from the build part.
>>>
>>> In any case, as much info as you can get about the mechanics of downloading dependencies, especially as it relates to pre-caching or pointing build systems at local mirrors of things holistically rather than by modifying the source code would be useful. We've gone through a couple of design iterations on javascript support as we've dived in further.
>>
>> Are these the sort of things that need to be in a resolution saying that it's ok to write code in Golang? I'll definitely agree that these questions are important, and I don't have the answers yet (although I expect we will by the time any Golang code lands in Swift). We've already got the Consistent Testing Interface doc[1] which talks about having tests, a coding style, and docs (amongst other things). Does a resolution about Golang being acceptable need to describe dependency management, build tooling, and CI?
>
> There are separate interfaces described there for Python and JavaScript.
> I think it makes sense to start documenting the expected interface for
> projects written in Go, for the same reason that we have the others, and
> I don't think we would want to say "Go is fine" until we at least have a
> start on that documentation -- otherwise we have a gap where projects
> may do whatever they want, and we have to work to get them back into
> sync.
>
> Doug

Yeah, I see that. Can you help me come up with that list? I honestly don't know the "right" way to do everything in Go. These are some of the things that need to be sussed out over the next several months (see the original email).

I've proposed my initial draft to https://review.openstack.org/#/c/312267/. I'd be happy if you pushed over that or had a follow-on patch to help describe the interfaces like with JS and Python.

--John