[openstack-dev] [puppet] Austin summit sessions recap

Andrew Woodward awoodward at mirantis.com
Tue May 3 17:52:51 UTC 2016

On Tue, May 3, 2016 at 6:38 AM Emilien Macchi <emilien at redhat.com> wrote:

> Here's a summary of Puppet OpenStack sessions [1] during Austin summit.
>
> * General feedback is excellent, things are stable, no major changes
> are coming during the next cycle.
> * We discussed about the work we want to do during Newton cycle [2]:
>
> Ubuntu 16.04 LTS
> Make Puppet OpenStack modules working and gated on Ubuntu 16.04,
> starting from Newton.
> Keep stable/mitaka and before gated on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS.
>
> Release management with trailing cycle
> The release model changed to:
> http://governance.openstack.org/reference/tags/release_cycle-trailing.html
> We'll start producing milestones within a cycle, continue efforts on
> tarballs and investigate package builds (rpm, etc).

We spoke some about marking point releases more often. On stable it sounded
like everyone was in favor for this to be automated. I didn't catch how we
wanted to handle dev milestones

> Move documentation out from Wiki
> See [3].
>
> puppet-pacemaker unification
> Mirantis & Red Hat to continue collaboration on merging efforts on
> puppet-pacemaker module: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/296440/)
> So both Fuel & TripleO will use the same Puppet module to deploy Pacemaker.
>
> CI stabilization
> We're supporting 18 months old releases, so we will continue all
> efforts to stabilize our CI and make it robust so it does not break
> every morning.

Does this make it the last 3 releases + dev = 4 or the last 2 + dev? Since
-3 technically falls off when the next dev cycle starts

Containers
> Most of containers deployments have common bits (user/group
> management, config files management, etc).
> We decided that we would add the common bits in our modules, so they
> can be used by people deploying OpenStack in containers. See [4].
>
> [1] https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/newton-design-puppet
> [2] https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/newton-puppet-project-status
> [3] https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/newton-puppet-docs
> [4] https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/newton-puppet-multinode-containers
>

> As a retrospective, we've noticed that we had a quiet agenda &
> sessions this time, without critical things. It is a sign for our
> group things are now very stable and we did an excellent job to be at
> this point.
> Thanks for everyone who attended our sessions, feel free to add more
> things that I might have missed, or any questions.
> --
> Emilien Macchi

Andrew Woodward
Mirantis