[openstack-dev] [puppet] Austin summit sessions recap

Emilien Macchi emilien at redhat.com
Tue May 3 13:35:13 UTC 2016

Here's a summary of Puppet OpenStack sessions [1] during Austin summit.

* General feedback is excellent, things are stable, no major changes
are coming during the next cycle.
* We discussed about the work we want to do during Newton cycle [2]:

Ubuntu 16.04 LTS
Make Puppet OpenStack modules working and gated on Ubuntu 16.04,
starting from Newton.
Keep stable/mitaka and before gated on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS.

Release management with trailing cycle
The release model changed to:
http://governance.openstack.org/reference/tags/release_cycle-trailing.html
We'll start producing milestones within a cycle, continue efforts on
tarballs and investigate package builds (rpm, etc).

Move documentation out from Wiki
See [3].

puppet-pacemaker unification
Mirantis & Red Hat to continue collaboration on merging efforts on
puppet-pacemaker module: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/296440/)
So both Fuel & TripleO will use the same Puppet module to deploy Pacemaker.

CI stabilization
We're supporting 18 months old releases, so we will continue all
efforts to stabilize our CI and make it robust so it does not break
every morning.

Containers
Most of containers deployments have common bits (user/group
management, config files management, etc).
We decided that we would add the common bits in our modules, so they
can be used by people deploying OpenStack in containers. See [4].

[1] https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/newton-design-puppet
[2] https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/newton-puppet-project-status
[3] https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/newton-puppet-docs
[4] https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/newton-puppet-multinode-containers

As a retrospective, we've noticed that we had a quiet agenda &
sessions this time, without critical things. It is a sign for our
group things are now very stable and we did an excellent job to be at
this point.
Thanks for everyone who attended our sessions, feel free to add more
things that I might have missed, or any questions.
--
Emilien Macchi