[openstack-dev] [devstack] - suggested development workflow without ./rejoin-stack.sh ?

Dean Troyer dtroyer at gmail.com
Tue May 3 12:07:01 UTC 2016

On Mon, May 2, 2016 at 5:10 PM, Kevin Benton <kevin at benton.pub> wrote:

> Now am I correct in understanding that when this happens there is no way
> to restart the services in a simple manner without blowing away everything
> and starting over? Unless I'm missing some way to run ./stack.sh without
> losing previous state, this seems like a major regression (went from mostly
> working ./rejoin-stack.sh to nothing).
>
> What is the recommended way to use devstack without being a power outage
> away from losing hours of work?

rejoin-stack.sh was never a part of the recommended workflow for DevStack.
It was a hack from the start and did not work in some common
configurations, was often not updated when other things changed around it,
and was totally untested.  The commit message in 291453 is almost exactly
why I proposed removal; I should have included the bits about being
untested and unmaintained.

There is an example of how to restart DevStack without reinitializing
everything, and it can be found in Grenade.  I think any proposal to
introduce a script to restart services should have a maintainer attached to
it who will keep it up-to-date with the rest of DevStack.  It should also
work with all of the major configurations, including Neutron L2, L3, DVR,
etc, and have a test job to exercise it.

dt

--

Dean Troyer
dtroyer at gmail.com