[openstack-dev] [tripleo] composable roles team

Tomas Sedovic tsedovic at redhat.com
Tue May 3 07:30:51 UTC 2016

On 05/02/2016 07:47 PM, Brent Eagles wrote:

> On 05/01/2016 08:01 PM, Emilien Macchi wrote:
>
> <snip/>
>
>>> If a feature can't land without disruption, then why not using a
>>> special branch to be merged once the feature is complete ?
>>
>> The problem is that during our work, some people will update the
>> manifests, and it will affect us, since we're copy/pasting the
>> code somewhere else (in puppet-tripleo), that's why we might need
>> some outstanding help from the team, to converge to the new model.
>> I know asking that is tough, but if we want to converge quickly,
>> we need to make the adoption accepted by everyone. One thing we can
>> do, is asking our reviewer team to track the patches that will need
>> some work, and the composable team can help in the review process.
>>
>> The composable roles is a feature that we all wait, having the
>> help from our contributors will really save us time.
>
> s/wait/want/ I expect.
>
> Well said. I understand the reservations on the -1 for non-composable
> role patches. It *does* feel a bit strong, but in the end I think it's
> just being honest. The likelihood that a patch on tht is going to land
> "as is" prior to the merge of the related composable role changes
> seems really unlikely. I for one, am willing to do what I can to help
> anyone who has had their patch pre-empted during this period get their
> patch refactored/ported once the comp-roles thing has settled down.

There is a precedent for this: back when we were using merge.py to
generate the TripleO Heat templates, the patch that moved us to pure
Heat was taking a long time to merge due to all the other t-h-t patches
coming in and causing conflicts.

So we decided to -2 all the other t-h-t patches until this one got merged.

On the other hand, that lasted for a few days. I'm not sure how long
until we get the composable roles landed.

Tomas