[openstack-dev] [kolla][kubernetes] One repo vs two

Ryan Hallisey rhallise at redhat.com
Mon May 2 13:56:15 UTC 2016

>I am in the favor of having two separate repos and evaluating the
>merge/split option later.
>Though in the longer run, I would recommend having a single repo with
>multiple stable deployment tools(maybe too early to comment views but
>yeah)
>
>Swapnil

>Swapnil,

>I gather this is what people want but this cannot be done with git and
>maintain history.  To do this, we would have to "cp oldrepo/files to
>newrepo/files" and the git history would be lost.  That is why choosing
>two repositories up front is irreversible.

When the community votes to either merge or not to merge down the road, it won't be far
enough in the future that losing the git history will be catastrophic. There won't
even be a release for the Kubernetes solution at that point. Plus it's still up in
the air whether the history gets lost at all because it's not a guarantee the community
votes to merge it.

-Ryan