[openstack-dev] [Nova] How about use IP instead of hostname when live Migrate.

Zhenyu Zheng zhengzhenyulixi at gmail.com
Thu Mar 31 02:50:41 UTC 2016

Hi, Nova,

Currently, we use destination host name as the target node uri by default
(if the newly added config option live_migration_inbound_addr has not been
set). This will need transformations from hostname to IP to perform the
operation such as copy disks, and it will depend on DNS services, for
example, we have to add our destination host to /etc/hosts in Ubuntu.

Actually, it is not hard for nova to get the destination nodes' IP address,
why don't we pass it in migrate data and use it as the uri for disk
migrations instead of hostname?

Any thoughts?

I have submitted a bug report for this and there is a Error Log about it,
please checkout:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1564197

Thanks,

Kevin Zheng