[openstack-dev] [nova][neutron] What to do about booting into port_security_enabled=False networks?

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Wed Mar 30 20:40:40 UTC 2016

On 03/29/2016 09:55 PM, Matt Riedemann wrote:
<snip>

> Yup, HenryG walked me through the cases on IRC today.
>
> The more I think about option (b) above, the less I like that idea given
> how much work goes into the allocate_for_instance code in nova where
> it's already building the list of possible networks that will be used
> for creating/updating ports, we'd essentially have to duplicate that
> logic in a separate method to get an idea of what security groups would
> be applied.
>
> I'd prefer to be lazy and go with option (a) and just say nova doesn't
> return security-groups in the REST API when creating a server and
> neutron is the network API. That would require a microversion probably,
> but it would still be easy to do. I'm not sure if that's the best user
> experience though.

Is there a sane resource on the neutron side we could link to? Today
security_groups are returned with a name from nova, which made sense
when it was an internal structure, but makes way less sense now.

"security_groups": [
       {
        }
]

Where the link is to a neutron resource (and we could do a local link
for the few nova net folks) might be more appropriate.

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague
http://dague.net