[openstack-dev] [release][all] What is upper-constraints.txt?

Andreas Jaeger aj at suse.com
Wed Mar 30 13:03:07 UTC 2016

On 2016-03-30 14:33, Davanum Srinivas wrote:
> Folks,
>
> Quick primer/refresh because of some gate/CI issues we saw last few
> days with Routes===2.3
>
> upper-constraints.txt is the current set of all the global libraries
> that should be used by all the CI jobs.

We're not ready yet for such a general recommendation, see below for
some details.

> This file is in the openstack/requirements repo:
> http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/requirements/tree/upper-constraints.txt
> http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/requirements/tree/upper-constraints.txt?h=stable/mitaka
>
> Anyone working on a project, please ensure that all CI jobs respect
> constraints, example from trove below. If jobs don't respect
> constraints then they are more likely to break:
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/298850/
>
> Anyone deploying openstack, please consult this file as it's the one
> *sane* set of libraries that we test with.
>
> Yes, global-requirements.txt has the ranges that end up in project
> requirements files. However, upper-constraints.txt is what we test for
> sure in OpenStack CI.

Note that upper-constraints is not ready for full usage in the project.
It only works in check and gate jobs but especially does not work in
post jobs. If you implement it improperly, your jobs will fail - and
post jobs will fail silently (see also [1] for an infra discussion).
Before infra can support this everywhere, our tools need to be fixed to
handle constraints in all queues.

Right now, I consider upper-constraints experimental since it does not
work for all queues and is not fool-proof. So, if you go down this road,
triple check that *all* your jobs do the right thing,

Andreas

[1]
http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/meetings/infra/2016/infra.2016-03-15-19.03.html

       HRB 21284 (AG Nürnberg)