[openstack-dev] [TripleO] Stable Branch policy for Liberty/Mitaka (revisited)

Steven Hardy shardy at redhat.com
Wed Mar 30 10:09:20 UTC 2016

Hi all,

Some time ago we had a discussion re $subject [1] which I want to revisit,
because the stable/mitaka branches have now been created.

That thread, and various IRC discussions have led to (I believe) the
following consensus:

1. stable/mitaka will align with the normal stable/maint backport policy[2],
which is in general "bugfixes only".  The only exception to this is patches
that are required to enable upgrade from the stable to current version.

2. To align with the above, from now on, stable/liberty will also move to a
"bugfix only" mode, as we cannot allow an older stable branch to gain
features not present on stable/mitaka (or we regress on upgrade).

In the event non-bugfix patches are required folks may mail this list, or
raise a topic in the weekly meeting justifying a backport exception, but in
general I think our stance will be no, after our experience with stable/liberty.

Currently there are two possible exceptions we're considering, which are
things that just missed the mitaka branch deadline:

- Gnocchi integration [3]
- Plumgrid integration [4]

One additional request - please ensure all bugfix backports have a bug
referenced in the commit message, this will help us track which fixes are
resolved in the various branches.

Relatedly - when you raise or triage a bug, please tag it
"mitaka-backport-potential" if you belive it's a likely candidate for
stable backport (so we can track pending fixes which need to be resolved in
the various branches).

Any questions/comments please shout - thanks! :)

Steve

[1] http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2016-February/086249.html
[2] http://docs.openstack.org/project-team-guide/stable-branches.html#appropriate-fixes
[3] http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2016-March/090721.html