[openstack-dev] [magnum] Discuss the blueprint "support-private-registry"

Eli Qiao liyong.qiao at intel.com
Wed Mar 30 01:59:32 UTC 2016

Hi Hongbin

Thanks for starting this thread,

I initial propose this bp because I am in China which is behind China
great wall and can not have access of gcr.io directly, after checking
our cloud-init script, I see that

lots of code are *hard coded* to using gcr.io, I personally though this
is not good idea. We can not force user/customer to have internet access
in their environment.

I proposed to use insecure-registry to give customer/user (Chinese or
whom doesn't have gcr.io access) a chance to switch use their own
insecure-registry to deploy
k8s/swarm bay.

For your question:
 >Is the private registry secure or insecure? If secure, how to handle
the authentication secrets. If insecure, is it OK to connect a secure
bay to an insecure registry?
An insecure-resigtry should be 'secure' one, since customer need to
setup it and make sure it's clear one and in this case, they could be a
private cloud.

>Should we provide an instruction for users to pre-install the private
registry? If not, how to verify the correctness of this feature?

The simply way to pre-install private registry is using
insecure-resigtry and docker.io has very simple steps to start it [1]
for other, docker registry v2 also supports using TLS enable mode but
this will require to tell docker client key and crt file which will make
"support-private-registry" complex.

[1] https://docs.docker.com/registry/
[2]https://docs.docker.com/registry/deploying/