[openstack-dev] [networking-ovn][Neutron] OVN support for routed networks(plugin interface for host mapping)

Russell Bryant rbryant at redhat.com
Tue Mar 29 17:32:40 UTC 2016

On Mon, Mar 21, 2016 at 12:26 PM, Russell Bryant <rbryant at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 17, 2016 at 1:45 AM, Hong Hui Xiao <xiaohhui at cn.ibm.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi Russell.
>>
>> Since the "ovn-bridge-mapping" will become accessible in OVN Southbound
>> DB, do you meant that neutron plugin can read those bridge mappings from
>> the OVN Southbound DB? I didn't think in that way because I thought
>> networking-ovn will only transact data with OVN Northbound DB.
>>

> ​You're right that networking-ovn currently only uses the OVN northbound
> DB.  This requirement crosses the line into physical space and needing to
> know about some physical environment details, so reading from the
> southbound DB for this info is acceptable.​
>>
>> Also, do you have any link to describe the ongoing work in OVN to sync the
>> "ovn-bridge-mapping" from hypervisor?
>

> ​This patch introduces some new tables to the southbound DB:
>
> http://openvswitch.org/pipermail/dev/2016-March/068112.html
>> I was thinking that we would be able to read the physical endpoints table
> to get what we need, but now I'm thinking it may not fit our use case.
>
> The alternative would be to just store the bridge mappings as an
> external_id on the Chassis record in the southbound database.  How quickly
> is this needed?

​This is now ready.

The Chassis table in OVN_Southbound now has

1) a hostname column

2) an external_ids column, including an ovn-bridge-mappings key.

Between those two, I think the Neutron plugin has all of the info it needs.

Let me know if you think of anything else that is missing.​

--
Russell Bryant