[openstack-dev] [docs] Our Install Guides Only Cover Defcore - What about big tent?

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Tue Mar 29 11:37:14 UTC 2016

On 03/29/2016 11:56 AM, Neil Jerram wrote:
> On 29/03/16 09:38, Thomas Goirand wrote:
>> On 03/23/2016 04:06 PM, Mike Perez wrote:
>>> Hey all,
>>>
>>> I've been talking to a variety of projects about lack of install guides. This
>>> came from me not having a great experience with trying out projects in the big
>>> tent.
>>>
>>> [...]
>>
>> Sorry to jump in this conversation a bit later, as I missed this thread.
>>
>> I've contributed lots of entries for Debian, and I'm a bit frustrated to
>> still not have an active link to it.
>
> I don't understand.  Do you mean that you could have published this
> guide yourself, but haven't yet done that;  or that you think someone
> else should be publishing it?
>
> 	Neil

The documentation people decided to *not* publish the Debian
install-guide (and remove the link to it) even though it can be
generated and (to my opinion, which is probably biased) works well.

I'd like to know the steps needed to restore a working active link.

I also am not thrived to see that it's been decided to remove completely
the Debian guide without even asking me about it. First, this isn't
big-tent-ish spirit (ie: best effort based), and this isn't the first
time I'm seeing this kind of things happening within the install-guide.

On each release it's the same: I try to first finish the Debian
packages, test them well, and *then* work on the install-guide, but when
this is happening, the Debian install-guide gets removed. I'm not given
the opportunity to work on it when I have the time to (and my opinion
isn't even asked).

I've been told multiple times to get someone else to work on the Debian
guide. Well, it's not happening, nobody is volunteering, and there's
only me so far. So what do you propose? Just get rid of my work?

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)