[openstack-dev] [nova] bug 1550250: delete_on_termination" flag: how to proceed?

Nikola Đipanov ndipanov at redhat.com
Tue Mar 29 08:28:07 UTC 2016

On 03/29/2016 09:14 AM, Markus Zoeller wrote:
> The discussion around Bug 1550250 [1] doesn't show a clear path on how
> to proceed. In short, it's about if we want to keep the flag
> "delete_on_termination" for volumes which get migrated. Right now that
> flag gets reset during the migration process. The patch [2] is stalled
> by the missing decision. Would be great if we could come to a conclusion.

I have left more details in the gerrit comments, but in short: I changed
my mind after a bit of back and forth with YaoZheng (the author of the
fix), and I think we should accept the fix.

As for this being an API breaking change - this has come up several
times before, and I don't think it is. We need to be able to fix broken
behavior without requiring microversion changes, as long as they don't
change the response format. Of course we should consider each case on
it's own based on how big the change is, but we should err on the side
of allowing broken behavior to be fixed without adding (useless) versions.

I don't think it's reasonable for Nova to strive to be bug compatible,
and this has been agreed on several other occasions. It seems to come up
from time to time so we may want to codify it somehow.

Thanks,
N.