[openstack-dev] [election] [tc] TC candidacy

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Mon Mar 28 15:53:00 UTC 2016

(This was also submitted as https://review.openstack.org/#/c/298294)

Hi everyone,

I'd like to submit my candidacy for reelection on the Technical
Committee. For those who don't know me yet, my name is Thierry Carrez, I
use "ttx" as my IRC nickname. I'm currently employed by the OpenStack
Foundation as its Director of Engineering, which basically means I'm
running the team in charge of ensuring the long-term health of the
upstream OpenStack open source project and its governance. Handling the
Technical Committee is my primary activity: 6 months ago I left the PTL
role for the Release Management Team in order to be able to focus as
much as possible on the TC.

One year ago I ran for election with the goal of having the TC "step out
of the way"[1]. The idea was to remove the TC from the critical path of
getting things done, and encourage a "ask for forgiveness, rather than
permission" attitude in our community. I like to think we were
successful at this. Project teams can now more easily add git
repositories as they need them, they also end up asserting some tags by
themselves, and the TC has generally moved to being an appeals board in
case of disputes, rather than a procedural barrier in getting things done.

Here are the three priorities for my upcoming mandate, if the electorate
chooses to reelect me to the TC:

1/ Cleaning up the big tent

The transition to the "big tent" governance model is now finished, with
all the expected projects now officially part of the OpenStack
community. The big tent is all about community: answering the "are you
one of us" question. Our approach there was to be inclusive and assume
good faith, especially as we caught up on documenting what we meant by
"the OpenStack Way". Over the past year we created the Project Team
Guide[2], which clearly explains what is expected of official project
teams. I think it's time for us to look back at all those projects we
have in the tent, reach out to those who are lacking, and not hesitate
to remove the ones that are not following our common community practices
from the list of official project teams. Demoting a project used to be
particularly painful, with costly git repository renames crating
disruption on the demoted projects. But now that all projects hosted
under our infrastructure (official and unofficial) use the same
namespace, this cost and disruption are very limited, so cleaning up the
big tent is now possible.

2/ Defining the limits of the big tent

The TC recently had two project team applications for which we had no
good answer: Poppy and Tacker. Those resulted in close (and somewhat
arbitrary) votes as each TC member tried to interpret the mission
statement words and what we stand for. In the case of Poppy, there was
the question of whether a service that proxies to non-OpenStack
commercial services could be considered part of "OpenStack", without an
open source reference implementation to do end-to-end testing against.
In the case of Tacker, there was the question of a service standing on
top of other OpenStack services to present a domain-specific API
tailored to a specific use case or industry. Should that still be
"OpenStack", or just something that consumes OpenStack ? I'd like the TC
to take a step back and explore those two questions, without the
pressure of a specific project team addition. Clarifying the rules may
result in some official projects to be demoted to "unofficial" status as
they would not fit the rules anymore.

3/ Launching the new separated event for project team members

We recently started the discussion[3] on splitting the "design summit"
into wider community feedback / requirements-gathering sessions (that
would happen at the main Summit) and a specific event for project team
members to gather in a co-located venue to come up with a plan and
organize its execution. We still have a long way to go (and not that
much time) to discuss the format and the timing of this new event, and I
expect the Newton membership of the TC to help with taking quick
decisions there. The next step here will be a cross-project workshop at
the Design Summit in Austin to discuss the current plan and go deeper in
the details.

Those are my three priorities for Newton and Ocata, and this is what
I'll push the Technical Committee towards if I'm elected.

Thank you all for your consideration !

[1] http://ttx.re/stepping-out-of-the-way.html
[2] http://docs.openstack.org/project-team-guide/
[3] http://ttx.re/splitting-out-design-summit.html