[openstack-dev] [cinder][openstackclient] Required name option for volumes, snapshots and backups

Duncan Thomas duncan.thomas at gmail.com
Mon Mar 28 09:29:15 UTC 2016

Because it leads to false assumptions, and code that breaks when something
breaks those assumptions (e.g. somebody creates a volume with no name on
horizon and breaks all the users of openstackclient that expects one
because their client suggested it was mandatory

On 28 March 2016 at 01:40, Jordan Pittier <jordan.pittier at scality.com>
wrote:

> I am going to play the devil's advocate here but why can"t
> python-openstackclient have its own opinion on the matter ? This CLI seems
> to be for humans and humans love names/labels/tags and find UUIDS hard to
> remember. Advanced users who want anonymous volumes can always hit the API
> directly with curl or whatever SDK.
>
> On Sun, Mar 27, 2016 at 4:44 PM, Duncan Thomas <duncan.thomas at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I think it is worth fixing the client to actually match the API, yes. The
>> client seems to be determined not to actually match the API in lots of
>> ways, e.g. https://bugs.launchpad.net/python-openstackclient/+bug/1561666
>>
>> On 24 March 2016 at 19:08, Ivan Kolodyazhny <e0ne at e0ne.info> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi team,
>>>
>>> From the Cinder point of view, both volumes, snapshots and backups APIs
>>> do not require name param. But python-openstackclient requires name param
>>> for these entities.
>>>
>>> I'm going to fix this inconsistency with patch [1]. Unfortunately, it's
>>> a bit more than changing required params to not required. We have to change
>>> CLI signatures. E.g. for create a volume: from [2].
>>>
>>> Is it acceptable? What is the right way to do such changes for OpenStack
>>> Client?
>>>

>>> [1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/294146/
>>> [2] http://paste.openstack.org/show/491771/
>>> [3] http://paste.openstack.org/show/491772/