[openstack-dev] [nova][novaclient] Responses for Deletion Events

Matt Riedemann mriedem at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Mon Mar 28 00:56:49 UTC 2016

On 3/23/2016 4:53 PM, Augustina Ragwitz wrote:
> There's been some discussion regarding a recent bug [1] where an issue
> was reported that no confirmation/success message is received from "nova
> agent-delete". This behavior is inconsistent from other novaclient
> delete commands which do provide a success message.
>
> There are a two issues that need to be addressed before this behavior
> can be patched:
>
> 1) What would represent sufficient expected behavior in this deletion case?
>
> A few options have been suggested in the bug; we should probably have
> consensus. We should keep in mind the novaclient is due to be deprecated
> in the near future, to be replaced by the openstack-client.
>
> The options suggested include providing a simple success response or
> supporting different levels of response data with options. For instance,
> only show a message if the user specifies --verbose explicitly.
> novaclient is not consistent with its "delete" behavior, some calls
> require --verbose while others are verbose by default.
>
> 2) How does the openstack-client behave for deletions? Should we be
> consistent with that in our own client?
>
> I've been digging around in the available documentation for the
> OpenStack client and didn't see response types documented. This issue
> has also not been addressed in any of the HGI or other high level
> documentation. I posted a question in the #openstack-sdks channel to see
> if anyone knows the answer to this.
>
> This might be a good opportunity to think about a standard for deletion
>

> [1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/python-novaclient/+bug/1557888
>
> ---
> Augustina Ragwitz
> Sr Systems Software Engineer, HPE Cloud
> Hewlett Packard Enterprise
> ---
> irc: auggy

The novaclient CLI is supposed to be more or less deprecated (for awhile
now), but because of a lack of microversion support in the
openstackclient CLI we've continued making changes to novaclient CLI.

In this case, we could just say we're not fixing it for novaclient and
if you want it, add the behavior to openstackclient. That team probably
has guidelines (at least in Dean's head) around how verbose a delete
operation should be.

If we did implement something in novaclient, I'd lean toward making the
user provide a --verbose option to get some output. After all, it's a
CLI. If it works, you get a 0 exit code. If it fails, you get a non-0
exit code and some error message.

I can see why `nova delete` is maybe a bit more verbose since it's a
cast in the API. Deleting an agent isn't, it's a straight DB delete
operation from the REST API, so it either works right away or it
doesn't, so I think the exit code is sufficient in the default case (no
--verbose option that is).

Matt Riedemann