[openstack-dev] [nova] [infra] The same SRIOV / NFV CI failures missed a regression, why?

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Fri Mar 25 20:33:44 UTC 2016

On 03/25/2016 04:08 PM, Jeremy Stanley wrote:
> On 2016-03-25 15:20:00 -0400 (-0400), Jay Pipes wrote:
> [...]
>> 3) The upstream Infrastructure team works with the hired system
>> administrators to create a single CI system that can spawn
>> functional test jobs on the lab hardware and report results back
>> to upstream Gerrit
> [...]
>
> This bit is something the TripleO team has struggled to accomplish
> over the past several years (running a custom OpenStack deployment
> tied directly into our CI), so at a minimum we'd want to know how
> the proposed implementation would succeed in ways that they've so
> far found a significant challenge even with a larger sysadmin team
> than you estimate being required.

What I'm proposing isn't using or needing a custom OpenStack deployment.
There's nothing non-standard at all about the PCI or NFV stuff besides
the hardware required to functionally test it.

What we're talking about here is using the same upstream Infra Puppet
modules, installed on a long-running server in a lab that can interface
with upstream Gerrit, respond to new change events in the Gerrit stream,
and trigger devstack-gate[-like] builds on some bare-metal gear.

Is that something that is totally out of the question for the upstream
Infra team to be a guide for?

-jay