[openstack-dev] [release] [pbr] semver on master branches after RC WAS Re: How do I calculate the semantic version prior to a release?

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Thu Mar 24 19:17:56 UTC 2016

On 25 March 2016 at 01:11, Alan Pevec <apevec at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Trunk will rapidly exceed mitaka's versions, leading to no confusion too.
>
> That's the case now, RC1 tags are reachable from both branches and
> master has more patches, generating higher .devN part. But once RC2
> and final tags are pushed, generated version will be higher on
> stable/mitaka branch:
> False
> False

Those versions are not the versions that pbr will generate.

mitaka gets backports and local requirements changes only, so it will
get less commits than master.

Say mitaka gets 10 commits, and master 50.

mitaka  13.0.1.dev10
master 13.0.1.dev50

As soon as someone pushes a commit that adds a feature (sem-ver:
feature), master will bump to 13.1.0.devN

-Rob

--
Robert Collins <rbtcollins at hpe.com>
Distinguished Technologist