[openstack-dev] [release] [pbr] semver on master branches after RC WAS Re: How do I calculate the semantic version prior to a release?

Chris Dent cdent+os at anticdent.org
Thu Mar 24 18:25:10 UTC 2016

On Thu, 24 Mar 2016, Doug Hellmann wrote:

[good explanation snipped]

Thanks for the detailed explanation.

As with so many of these bits of automation they come with a variety
of compromises. After a while it starts to seem like maintaining
those compromises becomes as important as solving the original goal.

>> [1] The fact that I can't look in the code for __version__ gives me
>> rage face.
>
> Having a __version__ inside the package actually has no bearing on
> what version the packaging system thinks is associated with the
> dist. The name is just a convention some projects have used. Rather
> than hard-coding a value, it's better to use pkg_resources to ask
> for the version of the current package.

Yeah, I know. I guess I have become accustomed to __version__ as the
canonical source of version authority (used by tooling) because...hrmmm
what's the best way to put this...it's clear, it's just _there_.

--
Chris Dent               (¨s¡ã¡õ¡ã)¨s¦à©ß©¥©ß            http://anticdent.org/