[openstack-dev] [release] [pbr] semver on master branches after RC WAS Re: How do I calculate the semantic version prior to a release?

Alan Pevec apevec at gmail.com
Thu Mar 24 16:06:54 UTC 2016

> So, if Delorean includes packages built from untagged commits in

Nit clarification: let's call it RDO Trunk repository (Delorean is a
tool, recently renamed https://github.com/openstack-packages/dlrn )

> multiple branches, placed in the same package repository where an
> automated installation tool can't tell stable/mitaka from master,
> that would be bad. Please tell me that's not what happens?

It is not what happens, there are separate repositories for packages
built from master and stable branches but it is still confusing, and
I'm not sure why is such a big deal to just push one empty commit with
Sem-Ver: api-break when we have that nice PBR automagic ?
Previously pre-versioning was used and version had to be bumped
explicitly in setup.cfg when opening master for the new version e.g.
https://review.openstack.org/#q,Ib634eb7acb64ff1d7be49852972295074b11557a,n,z

Another example (not release:managed project but still) where we have
this confusion is gnocchi:
openstack/gnocchi > master $ python ./setup.py --version
2.0.1.dev61
openstack/gnocchi > stable/2.0 $ python ./setup.py --version
2.0.3.dev13

Cheers,
Alan